- 1 cup water
- 1 orange, squeezed juice / about 1/4 cup of concentrated orange juice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 11/2 bottled orange juice (no water needed to add)
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, squeezed juice / 1/8 cup concentrated lemon juice
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch mix with 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- a pinch cayenne pepper / chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 stalks green onion, finely sliced
- 3 chicken thigh fillet, cut bite size/cubes (I used chicken wings cos i ran out of fillets)
- 2 tbsp shao xing wine/ chinese cooking wine (Optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooking oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- all purpose flour or cornstarch as needed
- Marinade chicken with shao xing wine, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare ingredient for sauce: Mix water, orange juice, brown sugar, lemon juice, soy sauce, orange zest and cayenne pepper into a saucepan and bring to boil over medium high heat. Mix in garlic and stir. Bring to boil again. Mix together the cornstarch and little water, stir into the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium low. Let the sauce simmer and reduced to the amount and consistency you desire. Then sprinkle the spring onion onto the sauce.
- Dip marinated chicken pieces in a bowl of beaten egg and coated the chicken pieces in a second bowl with all purpose flour.
- Once the oil in the wok is heated (medium heat) fried the chicken until it turns golden brown. Remove from wok.
- Turn on the heat of the sauce you make earlier, let it simmer, transfer the fried chicken to the sauce pan, coat well with the sauce for a minutes (medium low heat).
i should have reduce the sauce more, however it still taste good and appetising :)