Presentation: This is a one pretty cake. No worries on glazing or frosting or decor.
Taste: pleasant and fresh due to the caramel and orangy flavour.
Caramelized Orange Topping
- 2 oranges, thinnly sliced crosswise
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
For the Cake
- 150g butter, softened
- 3/4 - 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, room tempreture
- 1 cup self raising
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- To make caramelised orange topping: Rinse 2 oranges. Cut off and discard ends. then cut crosswise into thin slices. Place sugar and water in frying pan or saucepan over medium heat. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the oranges and simmer until liquid is almost gone and oranges are slightly caramelised. This will take about 10 - 15 minutes. Transfer to round baking pan, slightly overlap orange slices in concentric circle over syrup and chill until thickened.
- Preheat oven at 180 degree celcius.
- In the mean time, prepare the cake batter. Cream butter and sugar until its light and fluffy. Start beating on low speed the gradually increase the speed. Once the butter mixture is light and fluffy, add in egg one at a time. Beat until smooth. Then, stir in corn flour and half of self raising flour until just incorporated. Stir in orange juice then remaining self raising flour until just incorporated. Carefully scrape batter over orange slices in baking pan and spread level. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until cooked when tested with skewer. Remove from oven and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Run thin knife between pan sides and cake (this step may not be necessary because chances are the cake may pull away from pan side when its cook). Hold a flat plate over baking pan and invert to release cake.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Serve with lightly sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven for at least 15 minutes before you put in cake batter. It will help your cake to rise further.