Saturday, February 26, 2011

Basic Chicken Stock

I love basic stocks. I make one whole pot of stock on the weekend and refrigerate it so that I can gradually use them in my cooking throughout the week. If you have been following my blog you would have realise I am allergy to all sorts of MSG and I am trying to make my food to be tasty in the most non-chemical way.

So, here's the basic chicken stock recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 2kg chicken bones ( I use chicken carcass which only cost me AUD1 for 3)
  • 2 onions or leeks, quartered
  • 2 clove garlic,crushed
  • 2 carrot, peeled and chopped
  • 2 thyme sprigs
  • a dash of white pepper
Steps:
  1. Place all ingredients in a large/deep pot. Cover with cold water and slowly bring to boil on medium heat.
  2. Reduce heat to low and add 1 cup of cold water. Smmer for 3 - 4 hours on medium low heat. \
  3. Skimming fat and scu from surface.
  4. Add extra water if necessary to make sure bones are always covered. 
  5. After 3-4 hours, the liquid should be reduce by half. Strain the pot. Pour into whatever container you desire, allow to cool then freeze what you do not use.
Easy!!!! Trust me!!!

TIPS:
  • Do not allow stock to boil or it will make your stock turn cloudy.
  • If you are too lazy to get any other ingredients listed, make sure you use essential ingredient such as chicken bones, onions and carrots.

2 comments:

  1. Great advice with avoiding cloudiness - it is too easy to boil and spoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sharing the chicken stock recipe - keeping the stock covered with liquid whilst simmering is important, otherwise it ca quickly get too salty.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you or even just a Hi!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails