Italian Herbs or also known as dried mixed herbs is my favourite ingredients. It can easily add flavours to any food. This dried herbs usually consist of parsley, rosemary, basil, marjoram, thyme and coriander.
Oh this just suddenly cross into my mind. If you are Malaysian you should know what is nasi kerabu.. So, this maybe the Italian version of nasi kerabu... keke... ohh.. pardon me.. I miss nasi kerabu so much lately..
- Cook rice enough for 2 (try not to use fresh cook rice)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 red chilly, chopped (optional)
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 10 small prawns/shrimps or thinly slice chicken, beef or pork
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried mix herbs
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper (black or white, it doesn't matter)
- 1 tsp thick/dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oil for fried rice & 2 tbsp oil for omelette
- 2 eggs
- salt to taste
- Heat up oil in wok or pan at medium heat. Saute garlic, shallots and chilly till fragrant. Add in shrimps or any meat you use and red onion. Stir fry until shrimp or meat turn colour, then add in dried herbs (see tips) stir fry till fragrant.
- Add in rice, mix well, add in pepper and salt. On high heat, incorporate all the ingredients into rice.
- Add in thick/dark soy sauce into rice mixture and stir fry till well mixed. Place in a large bowl.
- Gold parcel/Omelette: heat oil, whisk 2 eggs with a pinch of salt, pour egg mixture into pan/wok, cook, tilting pan/wok over low heat until almost set (try to make a large and thin omelet).
5. Serve the gold parcel as it is or cut a 'X' on the parcel to show the fried rice inside.
- There are 3 ways to wrap the fried rice with omelet.(FIRST): make a large and thin omelet, place on serving plate, scoop fried rice onto omelet and wrap like a parcel. Using this method, you will need to flip the omelette to cook both side ; (SECOND): when the omelette is almost set, spoon fried rice into the centre of omelette, fold four sides of the omelette over the enclose filling. Press omelette firmly, turn carefully to brown the other side. Place on serving plate; (THIRD): mould the fried rice with a bowl, remove the bowl, slide omelette carefully over the rice, tuck the access under the rice.
- Rub herbs between you finger or hand to release its full flavour before adding into the wok or pan.
.......And... I am submitting this recipe to Festive Rice by TorviewToronto.........