Saturday, June 6, 2009
Red Cooked Pork
What you need:-
700 g of pork belly
2 tbsp of oil (vegetable or peanut)
4 cloves of garlic (peel and diced small)
1 piece of ginger
1 tbsp of sugar (or to taste)
2 tbsp of soy sauce (or to taste)
2 tbsp of dark soy sauce or caramelized soy sauce
1/2 tbsp of white pepper
3 tbsp Shaoxing wine or Chinese wine
1 1/2 cup or water or stock
2 Dried chillies (Optional and depending how hot you spicy you want it to be)
2 whole star anise (Optional)
1 cinnamon sticks (Optional)
1. Covered pork belly with boiled water and boil for 20 minutes (the end result will not look so oily and the meat will absorb the flavour better)
2. After 20 minutes drain the pork belly, pat it dry and let it cool. When it cools down cut it into bite sized.
3. Get rid of the fat/oil on the surface of the boiling liquid because it can be reused as stock for braising later on.
4. Now, heat up the oil (vegetable or peanut), lightly browned the diced garlic and ginger over medium high heat.
5. Add in the cut pork belly, stir fry till you could see the fat/lard melted a little. Then add in sugar, soy sauce, white pepper, dark soy sauce or caramelized soy sauce and other optional ingredients. Stir fry for another 10 seconds.
6. Add in Shaoxing wine or Chinese wine and stock (from the boiling liquid). Immediately cover the wok and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
8. Stir the meat and simmer for another 10 minutes or until the stock reduced and a bit thick.
9. Finally serve it hot with lettuce, steam rice or mantao.