- 1/2 cup dried anchovies, rinsed
- 2 dried scallop, rinsed (optional)
- 1/2 bulb garlic, remove papery skin
- 1 litre water
- 350g sliced fish (rinsed, sliced to 1cm thick, soak in a salted water for at least 20 minutes)
- 300g packed pickled Green Mustard or Salted Vegetable, remove from stem
- 2 tomatoes, quartered
- some lettuce or other leafy vegetables (optional)
- Ground white pepper to taste
- 1 stalk spring onion, sliced
- 1 stalk coriander
- Add dried anchovies, dried scallop and garlic into a big pot filled with water. Cover. Bring to boil then lower heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Discard the dried anchovies, dried scallop and garlic when the soup base is ready.
- Meanwhile, soak fish in salted water and prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- About 40 minutes before serving, bring the ready soup base to boil. Add the salted vegetable and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- Then add the drained fish slices in and briefly stir. Bring to boil. Add tomatoes, stir and bring to boil. Turn off heat and add in lettuce. Make sure it is covered by the soup. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with spring onion and coriander before serving.
- Why soak fish piece in salted water: To reduce the fishy smell and make the fish meat stronger so that it doesn't break ups during the cooking process