Friday, September 3, 2010

Five Spice Roast Chicken



I am not sure what I should cook today. So, I decided to seach on net and see what's my 'catch' of the day. I then click on BBC food recipes and found 5 spice roast chicken. Since I have every ingredients listed in my pantry I dedcided that's my 'catch' for today. As usual I will substract and add ingredient to suit my palate.

Want to know more about fiVe Spice? Click here.


So, in order to accomplish this dish you will need:-
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 french onions or 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 inch ginger, minced
Ooohh, well you can actually use mortar and pestle to pound them or even blender or food processor. I don't own any so I have to mince them as fine as possible. Then, put these ingredients in a bowl and mix with the following:-
  • 1 tsp light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp light soy sauce or to taste
  • 2 tbsp five spice powder
  • 1 tsp white pepper
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 tbsp chinese cooking wine (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp sugar or to taste
  • 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
  • 1/2 tbsp sesame oil
mix well and rub on:-
  • 1.2 - 1.5 kg chicken, cut into 4 pieces (you can also use substitute with drumsticks, wings, fillet etc)
marinate for at least 2 hours covered. Oh and remember to score the chicken.


What do you do next ?
  1. Preheat oven to 180 degree celcius. 
  2. Remove chicken from marinate, place chicken pieces on baking pan cover with aluminium foil. Reserved the marinated for sauce.
  3. Bake in the oven on 180 degree celcius for 30 minutes, remove the foil, increase the heat to 200 degree celcius bake until the skin turns golden brown. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.

    Meanwhile you can prepare the sauce.
    1. Pour reserved marinate and liquid from baking into a saupan.
    2. Add 1/2 tbsp corn flour plus 1/2 water. Stir. Bring to boil and serve with the chicken.
    For garnish.... Sprinkle some parsley or coriander or even cayenne pepper or chilli flakes on top.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Would love to hear from you or even just a Hi!

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails