Remember what I said about I am trying to avoid deepfrying japanese egg beancurd? well, this recipe is not about deep frying, but shallow fry with some gravy.
- 1 tube japanese egg beancurd, slice about 1 cm each, coat with the mixture of 1/8 cup cornstarch, 1 tbsp plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and a dash of pepper.
- 3 cm salted fish, cut to smaller pieces
- 1 inch ginger, finely slice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp chinese cooking wine
- 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp cornflour + 1 tsp water
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 stalk spring onion, green parts only, slice diagonally 1 cm each
- Heat oil in wok or pan at medium heat. Shallow fry the japanese egg beancurd till light brown. Remove, set aside and keep warm.
- In the same wok or pan with the remaining oil, fry salted fish. Remove and set aside.
- Using the same wok or pan and remaining oil again, saute ginger and garlic until fragrant. Add in chinese wine, soy sauce, oyster sauce and water. Bring to boil. Then stir in cornflour mixture. Bring to boil again.
- Off the heat, add in fried salted fish and briefly stir. Pour gravy in to wok or pan over the fried japanese beancurd. Sprinkle some spring onion on top.
- Try to fry the beancurd as soon as you sprinkle them with the flour mixture