Vietnamese Pork Skewer
- 500g minced pork
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/8 bicard soda + 1/2 tbsp lemon juice OR 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp water OR 1 1/2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp roasted rice powder (can get in Asian Grocery or see tip)
- some cooking oil for palm and grilling pan
- about 10 wooden skewer (soak in water in 20 minutes)
- In a medium mixing bowl or saucepan, add fish sauce, sugar and pepper. Stir the mixture until the sugar almost dissolved.
- Then, add in the mince pork, cooking oil and garlic. Use your hand to knead the ingredient until well combine. Alternatively, you could use spoon or spatula to mix and make sure all ingredient are well combine.
- In a small bowl, mix bicard soda with lemon juice and water. If you are using baking powder then just add with water. Stir the mixture. The mixture will foam up. Pour bicarb soda / baking powder mixture into pork mixture. Mix/ knead the ingredient till well combine.
- Add roasted rice powder to the mixture and mix/knead the mixture until all are well combined again.
- Cover the minced pork mixture and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Form the minced pork mixture into sausage shape and put through the skewers. Rub little amount of cooking oil on palms so that the minced meat does not stick to palms.
- Heat up barbecue, grill or pan, brush some oil to the grill or pan and cook. Turning the skewer over when they are golden brown.
Fish sauce and Chili Dip
- 2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 red chili or to your taste
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice or to your taste
- 2 stalk of coriander, leaves only (optional)
- Mix warm water, sugar and fish sauce together. Stir until sugar dissolved.
- Then, add in garlic, shallot, red chili and lemon juice. Stir till all well combine and serve as dip.
- Most of my cooking does not require roasted rice powder so instead of buying I decided to make my own roasted rice powder by using raw sticky/glutinous rice. If you don't want to buy any sticky/glutinous rice then may use white rice So, how to make roasted rice powder? First, set wok or skillet medium low heat, then, add rice, stir and shake the wok/skillet until the rice is golden brown. It will take about 10-15 minutes. Stir constantly so that the rice doesn't burn. Let it cool a little before grinding it. You can use coffee grinder, mortar and pester.