This recipe is really simple and quick to whip up. Since I still have raisin cinnamon bread at home I decided to use them for this recipe. Since this bread pudding takes 45 minutes to be cook I decided to make caramel sauce and custard as companion.
- 5 white bread
- I tsp ground cinnamon
- 5 raisin cinnamon bread
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1/3 cup raisins or dried mix fruits
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 tbsp / about 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat oven at 160 degree celcius (fan forced) or 180 degree celcius (non fan forced)
- Remove the bread crust and cut into smaller pieces about 1 inch each side (which you will be 6 smaller pieces from I piece of bread). Place them into an 8" baking pan or slightly smaller baking pan.
- Then, drizzle melted butter over the bread and sprinkle some raisins or dried mix fruits.
- In a separate large bowl, combine lightly beaten eggs with milk and sugar. Beat until it is mixed well. Add in vanilla essence and ground cinnamon if you are using any.
- Mix everything up and pour the mixture over the bread.
- Push the bread down with a fork until the bread is fully soaked and covered with the egg mixture.
- Pop the baking dish in the oven and baked for 45 minutes or when the top springs back when you likely tap it.
- The bread should be at least 1 day old (We don't want soft bread)
- You can have them by itself, with ice cream or whipped cream.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 60 ml water
- 1/3 brown sugar
- 150ml thickened cream
- 25g butter
- Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolve. Increase heat to medium high and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium and boil without stirring, until mixture turn light golden colour and add butter, whisk until butter melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar. Stir in cream until well combine.
- Return to medium heat and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until well smooth.
- This sauce can be keep in refrigerator for 3 weeks. Serve with any other food you like.
- Drizzle on freshly pop porcorn to make caramel popcorn
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Whisk egg yolk with cornflour with little milk till they turn into smooth paste.
- Place remaining milk and sugar in small saucepan and bring to boil.
- Once it boils, remove from heat and add yolk mixture paste.
- Whisk until thick and add vanilla essence.
- It is essential to bring milk to boil if not it will not thicken