- 2 cups rice, washed and soaked (I used basmati rice)
- 2-3 tbsp butter / ghee / oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium onion,quartered
- 1 pc cinnamon stick
- 2 star anise
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamons
- 140g tomato puree
- 6 tomatoes, cut into pieces, deseeded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Wash and soak rice for 15 minutes. Drained and set aside.
- Heat butter and fry cloves, star anise, cinnamon and cardamons until fragrant.
- Add garlic and stir for another minute before you add in onions. Stir and mix well.
- Once the onions start to brown, add in tomatoes pieces, stir and add into tomato puree. Mix well.
- Add in rice, salt and sugar. Mix well and fry for a minute or two.
- Pour in 3 cups of water and cook accordingly.
- Reduce the water if the mixture itself look liquidfy.
- I use rice cooker to cook this dish however you may use pot or pan.
- You can even fry/saute then in the pan and transfer to rice cooker to cook.