This is my first time making roast pork and it turns out really delicious. The crackling did not turn out as beautiful as I wanted but oh well, i should try cooking this again. The ingredients is really simple and I decided to make hoisin dip to accompany this roast pork. I bought my pork belly from Safeway. So, it prepack and it doesn't come in a slab.The size of the pork belly ? Exactly like the one in picture.
- about 600g pork belly, score the skin (diamond shape)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1 tbsp rock/sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, remove skin and smashed
- Clean pork belly and pour hot boiling water over pork belly skin (in metal colander). Pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree celcius. In a large mixing bowl, mix olive oil, fine salt and garlic together. Rub the olive oil mixture into the flesh and rub sea salt into the skin and groves cut.
- Place pork belly on a rack with tray underneath the catch the dripping oil. Roast for 15 minutes and reduce the tempreture to 180 degree celcius. Roast further 30 - 40 minutes or until the meat is cook as desire.
- Then, you can put on grill and put the pork belly under it to crisp the crackling OR you may remove the pork belly and fry the pork belly skin downward and without oil on medium heat till the skin turn crispy OR simply continue roasting until the skin turn crispy.
- Rest for 10 minutes and slice to bite size as for my case I don't even bother to slice them.
- 1/2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 gloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- a few drop sesame
- salt to taste
- Heat oil in a wok /pan over medium high heat. Add garlic and stir fry until fragrant. Turn heat down to medium and add in hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, water, sesame oil and salt to taste.
- Heat through remove from stove and serve.
- Why pour hot boiling water over pork belly skin? So that the scored skin will pull apart, encouraging fantastic crackling and easier to rubsea salt over and into the skin
- Hoisin sauce: cool, store in seal container and refrigerate